Wednesday, February 24, 2010

OLYMPICS!!!

If you couldn't tell by the title, I'm pretty excited about the Olympics. (To clarify, the Olympic Games. My internship advisor is a forester and thought I meant the coastal mountain range in Washington state, but those mountains/rainforest are full of banana slugs and non-stop rain in the winter, so no.)

I have to admit, I've spent a lot more time doing homework and studying for midterms than I have watching the Olympics, but I've made time to watch all of the men's Canadian hockey games, and some of the others as time allows. By far the best hockey day was Sunday, or as my friends back home called it, "hate day". In Oregon we can't use words like that, so I called it "rivalry day" while explaining the finer points/major points of hockey to the revolving door of people who watched with me.

Stream of consciousness:
-I really enjoyed the U.S./Canada game...even if I did not enjoy the outcome.
-Thus far I have managed to get my roommate on the path to addiction to hockey, and have gotten the majority of my good friends out here to stop making fun of me for liking hockey
-I'm a little disappointed that it's pretty much a three team competition.
-Less than excited for the Russia/Canada match today, mostly because I have to write at least 5 pages during it
-Ski jumping seems like a really bad idea on so many levels
-People who do not come from a wintery place do not appreciate just how little there can be to do in the wintertime outside. They are not very kind to the more obscure winter sports
-The biathlon is really cool
-Sidney Crosby needs to stop looking like a petulant child every time the camera is on him.
-Professors do not accept the Olympics as a reason to extend deadlines.
-The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, however; does accept the Olympics as a legitimate reason to move a deadline.
-Google Calendar and iCal are friends, and this is extremely useful.
-It still freaks me out when there are flowers and trees blooming before Valentine's Day.
-Canadians do not seem to judge what medals they get, as long as they win. Case in point: my Canadian friends were all quite excited that the Canadian pair won gold for ice dancing.
-Caribou Coffee still REALLY needs to have a location west of Denver. Preferably in Salem.
-Canada should focus less on curbstomping teams they know they can beat, and more on beating Russia and the U.S.

Hope everyone is enjoying the Olympics and watching something new and interesting. Soon I'll probably write something pertaining to an actual Minnesota team. At this point, the Twins as well as the Wild are fair game, because BASEBALL SEASON IS STARTING SOON!




No comments: