Thursday, January 10, 2008

Wild Owner Bob Naegele is selling his share of the team

Rumours have been flying around the Twin Cities since even before I returned home that some sort of business deal was going down. Today I got an email in my inbox from Mr. Naegele confirming what we have all long suspected. Whatever. I don't have a whole lot to say just yet, so long as the new owners continue to try and build a good team and don't turn into Dollar Bill, I'll be fine. Personally, I wouldn't sell a team that's making so much money, because if you look around, everyone has a sweater, hat, t-shirt, puck, fake stick, picture, you name it in their hot little hands, but according to my mom, that's just how he does business. If you would like a copy of the open letter that he sent to the fans, let me know and I will forward it to you. I'm sure the whole thing will also be posted on the official Minnesota Wild message boards.
Thanks for helping us get a team back, Mr. Naegele, and I hope whatever business venture you invest in next is kind to you.

In other news, the Wild have been beaten twice since the last time that I have posted, and if that wasn't bad enough, they play the Red Wings tonight. Unfortunately it looks like both Triangle Head and Zetterdouche (or the Eurotwins as they are known over at NPI) will be around to taunt me and my fellow Wild fans. I watched the Preds and Stars games, but I really couldn't find anything that I felt like posting about.

Last night I watched part of the Leafs/Ducks game, and I feel a little bit sorry for Leafs fans right now. They should protest and start burning jerseys in the streets or something to let the owners know that they want a better team. If they don't stop handing over all their money, they ownership is just going to keep putting out a mediocre team because the fans don't care as long as it's the Leafs.

Mikko Koivu update: Some un-named player has been put on waivers, but not quickly enough so Mikko Koivu can't play until tomorrow's game vs. the Blackhawks. Mr. Koivu says he's ready to play, and Coach Lemaire is ready to have him back. I'll update when I know for sure who it is.

***EDIT*** According to TSN.ca, it's Dominic Moore that has been put on waivers. I guess DR likes to keep us on our toes, since everyone I know thought it would be Foy. Not really sure why Foy didn't go, since he's almost always a healthy scratch, and Mikko Koivu does not center the checking line, which is what Moore did. Somehow I feel like this is going to bite them, I just haven't figured out exactly how yet.

3 comments:

Paul said...

Hey Kirsten, hope you're doing well... I have lots of catching up to do on my blog and checking out yours.

Excellent entry you wrote on the ownership change. Well, according to Craig Leipold, he wants Bob Naegele to stay involved as a minority partner. That's good news.

The bottom line to all this is plain and simple. As long as Leipold builds on the great foundation this franchise has laid and eventually delivers a championship to Minnesota. Unfortunately the North Stars couldn't (and it painfully is true as it was a tragic defeat in 1991 for me), but here the Wild can if everything falls into place.

I'm certainly excited, but at the same time there is so much work to be done. That's being a consistent winning team year in and year out. There have been ups and downs this season alone. Losing both games in Dallas especially upsets me.

I'll be posting my own blog entry about the Wild ownership change as soon as possible. Hopefully by the end of this weekend when I'm up to date with some NHL stories.

Nick in New York said...

well...it was certainly a busy day in Wild World!

As much fun as the Wings game was, I hope they don't suddenly decide that's the way to try to win all games!

Kirsten said...

I'm so stoked about all the happenings! I'll have a post up tomorrow, but I've been sick so I didn't get one up.